Friday 8 November 2013

Michael Morpurgo remembers...

Much like Joey the horse, War Horse has been embedded on the heart (and my blog!) of audiences for the last few weeks. 

Just shortly before the final performance at the Birmingham Hippodrome, Michael Morpurgo read an abridged version of his renowned book accompanied by musicians, John Tams and Barry Coope.

Since finding out that this event was taking place I checked my e-mail everyday for the availability of tickets. I could never have imagined that it would be an incredibly remarkable event and one that I will probably never forget. 



Morpurgo's love for his novel simply shone through his performance. In a discussion after the reading we decided that we adored the way he became each of his characters, whether it was changing his tone or his accent, it was like watching the show all over again. 

I took a friend with me who had never seen the play but was a huge fan of Mr Morpurgo and his work. She commented on how suited the music was to the narrative. I couldn't agree more. Each chapter of Joey's tale was separated by the marvelous musicians and slotted in perfectly. 



Joey and the rest of the cast have now galloped out of the Hippodrome but it has been so much fun being able to explore the text and how it came onto the stage. If you have a chance to see War Horse as the tour continues, make sure you get your tickets fast! 






Click here to see where  War Horse will be going next.





 




No comments:

Post a Comment